Image Alt

Neath RFC

Neath supporters may find the following article of interest, following our recent fixture with Moseley:

REPORT | Moseley 24-15 Worcester

Warriors suffered a shock defeat to Birmingham Moseley in their second pre-season game on a wet night at Billesley Common.Buster Lawrence went over for the first try of the night after Sam Olver had scored an early drop-goal before Huw Taylor crossed the line as Warriors went in 10-7 ahead at the break.

Moseley were the stronger side in the second period as James Dixon’s penalty brought the sides level before Ciaran Moore’s score gave Moseley the advantage once again. Mark Harrison finished a good move to stretch the hosts’ lead and effectively kill the game off before Ben Howard grabbed a late consolation for Warriors.

Olver opened the scoring inside the opening five minutes as Sam Olver struck a dop-goal from the 22 metre line after Moseley had repelled the Warriors backline. Moseley started to find their way into the game and pinned Warriors back in their own 22 as they went in search of the first try of the night.

And after relentless pressure Lawrence forced his way through before Dixon converted to give Moseley a 7-3 lead. The rain started to lash down in Birmingham as both sides made handling errors due to the slippery ball.

But Warriors were upping the pressure levels and retook the lead as Taylor bundled his way over from close range after the visitors had camped on the Moseley tryline. The Warriors defence was standing up tall every time it was asked questions but Moseley were proving a tough nut to crack as the visitors looked to increase their lead at the other end.

Warriors pressed forward as the half came to an end but they couldn’t add to their lead before the sides turned around at the break. The visitors made a whole host of changes at the interval but the conditions were getting no better as both sides struggled to get ball in hand in the second period.

Dixon levelled the scores with an early penalty as the match became a war of attrition. And Moseley went ahead just before the hour mark as Moore crossed the line following good work from the forward pack, before Dixon’s conversion put the home side 17-10 ahead.

The hosts were the better side in the second period and stretched their lead after Aaron Crofts broke through the Warriors defence before teeing-up Harrison, who dived over the tryline. Sam Hollingsworth’s conversion put Moseley 24-10 ahead as the game started to get away from Warriors.

Howard did give Warriors faint home towards the end of the match when he latched onto a kick forward and slid over but there wasn’t enough time for Warriors to add to their score as Moseley ran out deserving winners on a tough night in Birmingham.