NEATH 3 BEDWAS 28
Two converted tries in each half were enough for Bedwas to claim the bonus point win they needed to scrap themselves away from the relegation zone and possibly save themselves from accompanying Neath into the Premiership next season.
In sunshine and a stiff breeze, generally It was an undistinguished affair and Bedwas always looked the likely winners after they took the lead through a try by Dragons Academy winger Deon Smith converted by outside-half Joseph Scrivens.
Neath rallied briefly through a Callum Hall penalty and showed flurries of inspiration amongst a whole lot more defensive perspiration, the Blacks again showing huge defensive commitment to keep their opponents at bay.
Home centre Gavin Evans was sin-binned and Bedwas took advantage to increase their lead with a try by centre Adam Williams, converted by Scrivens and the visitors went into the interval well worth their 14-3 lead.
In the second-half, Bedwas were soon in the hunt for their bonus point which was duly earned through tries by centre Lewis Bowden and hooker Mike Dacey with Scrivens converting both and, with a quarter to go, that was it as far as the scoreboard was concerned.
Photos courtesy of Len Kowalski @neathtog
Beaten they may have been but Neath refused to lie down and kept playing. No.8 Guido Volpi led the way with his strong carrying and flanker cum second-row Lee Evans made some telling impacts. Neath College captain Rhys Thomas did well on debut and scrum-half Macauley Griffiths worked hard behind a pack which gave second best.
Neath actually finished the game stronger than Bedwas, piecing together some ambitious – if unproductive – phases of combined play but Bedwas repelled them and it was too little too late and the Blacks now look forward to their final home game of the season against Aberavon on Easter Monday (kick off 2.30pm).
NEATH – Aaron Bramwell (captain); James Roberts, Jarrad Rees, Gavin Evans, Alec Jenkins (Geraint Roberts); Callum Hall (Will Holley), Macauley Griffiths, Steve John (Gavin Clement), Garin Lloyd (Sion Crocker), Tyla Murvai (Haydn Manorek); Scott Davies (Joe Grabham), Rhys Thomas; Lee Evans, Guido Volpi, Leon Ward (Ioan Jones)
NEATH / BEDWAS TEAM SHEETS:
|15||AARON BRAMWELL (CAPTAIN)||THOMAS BENJAMIN||15|
|14||JAMES ROBERTS||DEON SMITH||14|
|13||JARRAD REES||ADAM WILLIAMS||13|
|12||GAVIN EVANS||LEWIS BOWDEN||12|
|11||ALEC JENKINS||JORDAN REES||11|
|10||CALLUM HALL||JOSEPH SCRIVENS||10|
|9||MACAULEY GRIFFITHS||LUKE CRANE||9|
|1||STEVE JOHN||SAM COCHRANE||1|
|2||GARIN LLOYD||MIKE DACEY||2|
|3||TYLA MURVAI||RHYS HUTCHERSON||3|
|4||SCOTT DAVIES||CRAIG HUDD||4|
|5||RHYS THOMAS||JOE DAVIES||5|
|6||LEE EVANS||JAMES RICHARDS||6|
|8||GUIDO VOLPI||NATHAN HUDD (CAPTAIN)||8|
|7||LEON WARD||JON ARMITAGE||7|
|16||SION CROCKER||TOM DEVINE||16|
|17||GAVIN CLEMENT||ALUN REES||17|
|18||HAYDN MANOREK||RHYS JAMES||18|
|19||IOAN JONES||GARETH ALLEN||19|
|20||JOE GRABHAM||DALE ROGERS||20|
|21||NICKY GRIFFITHS||RORY HARRIES||21|
|22||GERAINT ROBERTS||JACOB CHILCOTT||22|
|23||WILL HOLLEY||DION McINTOSH||23|
REFEREE – MR. RICHARD DEACY
ASSISTANT REFEREES – MR. JON HARDY & MR. ALUN JONES
NEXT HOME GAME – ABERAVON – EASTER MONDAY, APRIL 22nd 2.30pm
NEATH V BEDWAS – SUPPORTER INFORMATION
To assist spectator enjoyment, all supporters should please take note of the following:
- Parking is available in the multi-storey car park near the Town End of the ground (closes at 6.30pm)
- The Clubhouse will be open prior to the match with two large downstairs bars for supporters
- Hospitality (£10 for a 2 course meal, plus coffee at H/T) is available for home and away supporters
- The Gnoll is a “no smoking/no vaping” environment
- No dogs or pets allowed (Other than guide dogs for the blind)
- Admission £10, Under-16’s free
- The only points of admission to the ground will be via the turnstiles at the Town End – turnstiles will be open from 1.30pm
- Programmes (£2) available from outside bar
- Catering facilities will be available inside the ground near the turnstiles (bar and burgers, teas etc.)
- Supporters are not permitted to stand on the concourse in front of the Clubhouse or Main Stand for safety reasons
- Supporters are requested to follow any instructions given by safety stewards
- Please respect the kicker when he is kicking at goal
- Please respect the match officials