Image Alt

Neath RFC

If Neath’s last home game against Pontypridd ended in a cruel defeat, this time there could be no argument about the result for the Blacks turned in a dire first-half performance which saw them nil-18 down by the break.

Neath missed a straightforward penalty and opted to take a scrum rather than a simple goal but they posed almost no threat otherwise in a half which belonged very firmly to the Quins.

Carmarthen Quins took full advantage of Neath’s error-ridden half to register tries by centre Dylan Morgans, hooker Ryan Elias and prop Gethin Robinson and the game was effectively over by the interval.

Things picked up a little for Neath after the break when a well-placed Iwan Evans grubber bounced up perfectly for centre Ryan Evans to get on the try-sheet.

But Quins showed their superiority with tries by Morgans and wing Gavin Thomas whichit must be said were made all to easy for them.

A host of replacements at last saw the Blacks inject some life into proceedings and the arrears were cut when visiting winger Iolo Evans illegally chopped down his opposite number Ashley Evans on his way to the try-line and Neath were back at 14-30.

Quins struck back with a penalty from near half-way by outside-half Craig Evans – his only successful kick of the afternoon and it was fortunate for Neath that he had left his conversion boots behind.

To their credit, Neath kept going and replacement centre Cameron Morris cut through and nearly made it to the try-line but the Blacks were penalised in the shadow of the Quins posts.

Keeping up the attack, Neath were rewarded when lock Jonny Griffiths charged down a kick from visiting scrum-half Connor Lloyd and hooker Aled Morris gratefully gathered to score his first try for the club, Iwan Evans adding the conversion points to make it 22-32.

Neath looked likely to score again only for the referee to call back flying No.8 Steffan Jones on his way to the posts. A converted try there would have left just two points in it but it was too little too late and Quins closed down the game quite efficiently to leave Neath regretting an awful first-half.