Image Alt

Neath RFC

A hat-trick of tries by prop Elis Hopkins highlighted Neath’s 9-try win at Briton Ferry on Friday evening.

Hard work by the Ferry committee and their workers ensured that the game proceeded despite the midweek rains and their labours were rewarded with an entertaining game in front of a crowd of several hundred.

Steff Williams came into the side late as Kieran Charles was delayed in work and Neath were soon on the attack but handling errors proliferated in the first quarter before the Blacks converted almost continual pressure into points.

Five tries materialised and it was 33-3 at half-time after Elis Hopkins and winger Llewellyn Hawkes crossed for a brace of tries each and lock Ioan Jones got another, outside-half Steff Williams converting four.

In the midst of it all, Ferry outside-half Kealan Jones brought a cheer from the home support when he landed a penalty but the Premiership side were very much on top.

The second-half followed much the same pattern with Neath, now playing up the slope, adding a further four tries.

Hopkins soon completed his hat-trick and there were also scores for winger Steff Gibson, centre and captain Kristian Jones and No.8 Fergus Kneath, Steff Williams converting three and striking an upright with the other.

As players tired on the muddy surface, the last ten minutes were scrappy but play was still keen and referee Mr. Craig Davies (Briton Ferry) had to resort to the card option  before blowing the final whistle on a diverting evening’s rugby.

BRITON FERRY – L.Morgan; M.Davies, I.Khammamod, N.Suter, C.Williams; K.Jones, C.Comerford-Davies; C.Phillips, J.Fowler, S.Boobier; D.Harris (capt), Morgan Davies; A.Williams, C.Davies, A.Gubb   Repl. J.Ball, J.Stokes, R.Jenkins, J.Griffiths, Aled Thomas, R.Davies, M.Mort, L.Griffiths, C.Jones, A.Rosser

NEATH – L.Rees; L.Hawkes, S.Wilcox, K.Jones (capt), S.Gibson; S.Williams, B.Wood; M.Thomas, E.Kneath, E.Hopkins; I.Jones, C.Arnold; T.Morgan, F.Kneath, D.Ceredig Repl. A.Buske, T.Dabeh, M.Davies, J.Blackmore, M.Kneath, T.Jones

Referee – Mr. C.Davies (Briton Ferry)

Images courtesy of Len Kowalski